Monday, September 5, 2011

Alas, all good things must come to an end.....

I'm not a summer person. Never have been. In fact, when temps get above 85, I'm bitchy. When we manage a heatwave, I tend to get profoundly depressed. I'm ugly in the summer: shiny face, flat hair (that is always worn up), unattractive clothing - the list goes on. Its not my season. Period.

I had big plans for the summer, much of which I pulled off. Yes, I would have liked to travel more, but don't we all. Where the time actually went, I don't really know. And I find myself not looking forward to school starting for Nico again. She is ready. Believe me! I think she's so tired of me, she could scream. But the school year is hard and I still feel like a novice at it. Thank god she only goes for three days!!

I enjoyed my summer with the Muffin Queen. We had a lot of adventures. And I intend to keep up those new experiences throughout the year! But this summer was hard for me, personally. I struggled desperately with feelings of isolation, suffocation and just plain ole being trapped. I feel like I operated as a single mom SO much this summer. I hated it. And hate doesn't really describe how much I hated it!! While my child is my favorite person in the world, I need the safety of my own sanity and soul to keep me afloat.  Without me, there is nothing.

So. This fall we make a change. A BIG change. Granted, I will shed a tear or two when I drive away from that first day of school on Monday. But that first day will be the first day of forever! I'm going to start running. I'm going to finish my bloody textbook! And I'm going to finish putting myself back together! This is going to be the Fall of Lori (akin to the Summer of George - for you Seinfeld folks). Change is good.

2 comments:

sonja said...

Oh no! Don't compare to the Summer of George! That gets sidelined immediately when he falls down the stairs and then has to spend the summer rehabilitating so that he can walk again.

So the Fall of Lori should have nothing to do with the Summer of George. Agreed?

Also, so cool that you are ready to tackle the fall.

Lor said...

Agreed. Fall of Lori will have nothing to do with Summer of George. No poisonous envelopes. And I will avoid eating large chunks of cheese (cause he had big plans for that). And I hate wearing velvet. There. That should cover me.