Friday, June 10, 2011

Away for the Night....

So, tomorrow night, I'm going away to spend a night in New York City - with my friend, Nancy. This is only the second time (the first being purely accidental) that I have spent the night away from my child. And, I have to tell ya, I am blown away by my ability to deny, compartmentalize, and avoid any feelings about it!

Frankly, I'm kind of proud of myself for being able to actually be excited about going. I'm such a control freak that the idea of my husband preparing meals, doing the bath and bed time routine...well, it should be creating a bubbling foam of anxiety/indigestion in my stomach. But you know, its not. I know Nico will correct him on anything she doesn't necessarily like or want. So no biggie there. And if I leave explicit directions with him on how to cook her meals, again, things should be fine.

Perhaps I'm a little disappointed that I'm so okay with it. Let's not kid ourselves, I do NOT give up control very easily. I mean, I'm a nightmare to work for because of my control issues. And yes, I do approach the running of the house as I do the management of a multi-million dollar construction project. Its speaks volumes for our babysitter that she's been with us as long as she has been. I've only kept ONE secretary longer than her. And the other babysitters we've had...well, none have lasted more than three months. Seriously. I'm psycho about the way people should perform that work for me. Poor Bob.

But I'm magically not worried. The way I see it is that what happens with Bob and Nico when I'm not here (as long as no one gets hurt) is their business - a Daddy and daughter business. I think all will go well. As long as she DOES go to sleep. I will be trying desperately not to feel guilty as I walk around unencumbered in New York City and sleep an uninterrupted sleep. I will miss my daughter terribly - but I will be home the next day, of course. What I think I fear most is that I will like it - a LOT! But then, I feel guilty for typing that.

Bottom line: it will be weird. I'll probably sleep like hell. But...Oh man. I can't wait.

1 comment:

sonja said...

I hope you had a great night in New York. I've gone away from my kids a few times now and felt remarkably okay about it. :) The first time was the hardest, though.